Photo courtesy of Dan Vaught
Summer Concert Series - July 18,2015
Featuring the Petoskey Steel Drum Band
Photos courtesy of Cathy Kohring and Kevin Leonard
De Tour Farmers' Market
The EDC is working hard to construct a permanent pavilion for the De Tour Farmers' Market. There are grant funds available for this purpose, giving us enough for the construction, but we are short of our goal to purchase the land. Please consider donating to help us bring this worthy asset for the De Tour Community.
Marina, Ferry, Growing Industrial Park, Wireless Broadband yet it is charming, private, and wooded!
Welcome to the Maritime Village of the Great Lakes - De Tour, Michigan! This is the Official De Tour Village and Township Municipal Website. Here you will find vital local information for both residents and guests that are visiting the area.
De Tour Village was incorporated in 1899. The earliest residents of De Tour were the Mascoutin, Ottawa, and Chippewa Native Americans who established encampments on Pointe De Tour well before early European travelers passed this way. Some of the early European explorers included Father Marquette, Louis Joliet, Antoine De La Cadillac and Sieur De La Salle. France claimed this North Country from 1599 to 1761, after this date allegiance was to Great Britain.
De Tour Township was organized on March 28, 1850 under the name Warner Township, in honor of Ebenezer Warner, its first supervisor. An 1848 map showed De Tour as Warnerville. De Tour was a mill town in the later 1800's and early 1900's.
March of 1899, a petition signed by De Tour Supervisor Butterfield and forty six other voters of the De Tour area was presented to the County Board of Supervisors requesting that the area, as spelled out in the petition, be designated "The Incorporated Village of De Tour. The application, having been found to conform to the requirements of the law, was approved unanimously by the County Board at the Courthouse in Sault Ste. Marie on March 16, 1899. The true photographic copy of the proceedings was filed with The State of Michigan, under the date of January 28, 1901.
Our Name - more than just a road sign. During the early days, commerce was by water and all traffic came past De Tour going to and from Mackinac Island and Detroit to the Sault, Lake Superior and Canada. Since ships and canoes made a turn to go west to Mackinac or southeast to Detroit, the name De Tour was given which means, in French, "the turn". The Chippewa Indian name for this area was 'Giwideonaning' meaning, "Point which we go around in a canoe".
SAVE THE DATE!
2ND ANNUAL RIVER FEST SATURDAY, AUGUST 20, 2016
De Tour Village of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is located NE of the Mackinac Bridge at the Straits of De Tour Passage where the magnificent St. Mary's River joins beautiful Lake Huron. Known as the "Gateway to the North Channel," and a vacation spot for family, friends, fisherman, and more - De Tour is a Peaceful Place to live and visit! De Tour Village is committed to the quaint life style that the Upper Peninsula affords those who live here. Visit our Our Community page for more info.